A long time ago (2 months), in a galaxy far, far, away (around the corner from my house)…
It is a dark time for the Rebellion (unappreciated antiques). Although the Death Star (200 year old house) has been destroyed (stripped to the beams), Imperial troops (contractors) have driven the Rebel forces (goodies left from previous owner) from their hidden base (attic) and pursued them across the galaxy (threw them out for the trashman). Evading the dreaded Imperial Starfleet (home owner), a group of freedom fighters (my husband, my dogs, and my car) led by Luke Skywalker (me) have established a new secret base (my garage shop) on the remote ice world of Hoth (my house).
Okay, Okay…lol…I think you get it. I rescued a dirty, old, broken down American Empire lowboy from ending up in a landfill. A 200 year old house around the corner from mine has been bought and the new owner is completely renovating it. In the process, he has graciously allowed me to salvage anything that I’m interested in. So far, I’ve rescued tons of windows with the original glass, bead board, tongue and groove siding, and lots of antique goodies that were left by the previous owner. I feel like a kid in a candy store.
This is my favorite piece from the salvage, so far.
To everyone else, this lowboy looked like a mess…moldy, dirty, smelly, dinged, dented, gouged, scratched, and missing veneer. I saw, beautiful curved legs and drawers, solid wood, tight construction, and lots of character.
The first thing I did was to remove the veneer off the top and the drawer fronts and sand off the glue. There was too much veneer missing to simply repair it, although I was able to salvage the veneer on the sides. Luckily, the mold that was on the veneer had not penetrated into the beautiful wood underneath. Then I gave her a good cleaning in and out with vodka & water and let her dry overnight. This took care of the remaining dirt and smell.
The next thing that I did was to apply a stainable wood filler to the large gouges and glue any raised veneer down on the sides. When it was all dry, I sanded it smooth.
Here’s what she looked like after the repairs.
Once her repairs were down, it was time to dress her up. I stained her top and drawer fronts with Minwax Provincial. It’s such a rich classic color and it really brought out the grain in the wood.
A little hint when using stainable wood filler. It doesn’t take to stain as well as wood does. So, what I do is to use an art brush to apply an extra coat of stain to the wood filler only. Let it sit approx half an hour, then dab it with a dry rag. This extra bit really helps it blend right in.
Above: wood filler before…notice the spots.
Below: wood filler after…spots blend right in.
I painted the rest of her beautiful body with homemade chalk paint using a custom mix color of soft mint green, distressed her a bit, then protected her with wax. I applied three coats on top to give it extra protection. Her drawers were lined with pretty vintage wallpaper (tacked down, not glued.) Last, but not least, I gave her new jewelry…pretty cast iron knobs and pulls.
What a great transformation. Isn’t she beautiful!
Look at the beautiful woodgrain that was hidden under that moldy veneer. Gorgeous!
See…she still has plenty of life left in her. :)
She’s now for sale at my booth and my Etsy shop.
I’m hooked up at these link parties:
Miss Mustard Seed
At the Picket Fence
My Repurposed Life
See Vanessa Craft
Lovely Crafty Home
The Shabby Nest
House of Hepworth’s
Create. Craft. Love.
You might also like:
Share and enjoy: